Green Waste Recycling

Green Waste Recycling

Please remember,
***April 1 - November 30: only green waste materials should go in your green can.***
December 1 - March 31: you can use your green can for other trash. 

What is Green Waste Recycling?

Green waste recycling is a voluntary program for curbside collection of green yard waste. Green waste materials include lawn cuttings, clippings from bushes or shrubs, leaves, garden waste and produce, and other similar green yard waste. Residents may not place dirt, rocks, sod, food waste, or paper in their green waste recycling containers. Green waste should not be bagged.

Why recycle yard trimmings?

Green waste materials are relatively clean, biodegradable, and unnecessarily take up space in landfills. The materials can be turned into mulch and compost material. Recycling yard trimmings will improve the performance of the Wasatch Integrated Waste Management energy recovery facility (incinerator) and will help extend the life of the landfill up to 20 years.

How much does it cost?

A green waste container currently costs $6.00 per month. In order for the City’s current trash program to cover costs and to ensure an affordable green waste can, the City recently restructured rates for all waste services. Your first trash container will now cost $11.50 per month and any additional container will cost $9.00 per month. By exchanging a second trash can for a green waste container, you can save $3.00 per month.

Current cost for two trash containers: $20.50 per month

Cost for one trash can and a green waste container: $17.50 per month

What if I don’t want to participate?

The West Point Green Waste Program is voluntary. Once enrolled, residents must keep the can and pay for the service for a minimum of 6 months. A $12 cancellation fee will apply to stop service.

How does the program work?

Participating residents will receive an additional, specially marked green 90-gallon container. The can will be picked up each week on the same day as your regular trash pick-up, but by a different truck. Both services will be provided by the City’s current hauler, EconoWaste. Cans must be kept for a minimum of six months. During the winter months (December 1 – March 31) the green waste container may be used for regular household waste.

What if I have an issue with my greenwaste container?

If you have a problem with the container, please contact City Hall at (801) 776-0970. If your problem is with the collection service (i.e. garbage truck missed your can, your can did not get emptied all the way, etc.) please contact Econowaste at (801) 627-2680.